Our school uses the Collin’s SNAP Science programme.
This scheme, which was written by a team of curriculum experts is underpinned by great principles:
- Progression leading to big ideas in science
- Developing understanding through Working Scientifically
- Active involvement of children in their own learning
- Supports teachers who are not science specialists as well as stretching those who staff who have a specialism in science
- Helps every child achieve by making challenging concepts meaningful for children with carefully pitched activities supported by engaging and interactive resources
- Cultivates a spirit of enquiry in pupils with practical exploration and inspiring investigation activities
- Ensures clear progression within the “big ideas” in science
We use both the Teaching Framework and the online resource kit and supporting materials to plan the best possible journey for our children. Several teaching staff have also received training and resources from Ogden Trust which are used to enhance the SNAP Science material.
The sequences of lessons include core lessons which are needed to cover all the objectives from the new English Programme of Study, and enrichment lessons which provide extra breadth and depth.
Every lesson is based around a question and starts with Explore Activities, designed to catch attention, place the science in context, stimulate children’s questions and provide an opportunity for the teacher to find out what the children already know about the topic.
The main Enquire Challenge provides opportunities for practical exploration, data collection and analysis.
Self and peer assessment is highlighted in many of the plenary sections, reinforcing the principle of supporting the children to be active in their own learning.