Geography is a unique subject which provides pupils the tools required to develop their understanding of the world in which we live.
Human geography helps us understand different cultures, societies and economies, and physical geography develops the understanding landscapes, environment and natural processes.
Geography puts this understanding of social and physical processes within the context of place – recognising the great differences in cultures, political systems, economies, landscapes and environments across the world, and exploring the links between them.
Geography provides an education for life and for living. Learning through geography –formal learning and fieldwork– helps us all to be more socially and environmentally sensitive, better informed, and helps us grow into responsible citizens.
Geography informs us about:
- The places and communities in which we live
- Our natural environments and the pressures they face
- The interconnectedness of the world and our communities within it
- How and why the world is changing, both globally and locally and how our actions contribute to such changes
- The choices that exist in managing our world for the future
Our Geography curriculum provides pupils the opportunity to develop lifelong curiosity and an interest in our world. Pupils investigate, explore and learn about human and physical processes within our world. Pupils develop an understanding of place and location, starting with our school, the local area and the world beyond.
Through Geography, pupils can become citizens of the world, they experience new cultures, understand differences and develop a view of how resources are distributed throughout our world and how we can facilitate change in our planet.
Through our curriculum, pupils will develop their ability to:
- Use maps, atlases and globes
- Understand grid references and use keys
- Use positional language
- Understand human processes such as trade and migration
- Understand physical processes such as volcanoes, mountains and earthquakes
- Develop and understanding of place
- Identify continents, countries, counties and cities